Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tis the Season to be Chilly. ;)

So it is officially fall in VA. =) Yes, the leaves have begun to fall and the air has began to cool so I feel as though I can truly say, it is fall. =)

I absolutely love this season as the leaves are gorgeous, the food is awesome and I "usually" get more time with my family and friends. . . <-- that hasn't exactly happened yet. =/ But I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving! =D So, yes, I know it's been a while since I last posted, but life has been rather crazy of late as I expect it to be until December 17 or so. . . as work and school are blessedly consistent on their pull on my life.

So update. . .

About 2 weeks ago my family and I made a trip to the mountains and got apples, sweet potatoes and pumpkins. I LOVE getting apples and pumpkins every year as there is so much goodness that comes from these two produce. The apples we can make into apple pie, apple betty, newlywed apple caramel cake, chunky applesauce, etc. and the pumpkin flesh is good for pumpkin pie, pumpkin custard, pumpkin based soups, with the seeds being extra good as a salty, healthy snack.

As we went up to the mountains we left a green part of VA to a part of VA that was definitely in the midst of fall. I love going to our mountains as they always have all four seasons and the mountains are gorgeous every time of year. Also, the mountains are filled with lots and lots of trees. I love trees! =) (And no, I'm not a green weirdo, I just love the nature that God has given us.)

When we got to our destination we got out and picked out some Fuji apples, (very similar to a honeycrisp apple), if you haven't had either you ought to find them and buy them. They are my favorite kind of apples. Their a mixture of tart and sweet, absolutely delish! =) After we picked out some apples we went to a field of pumpkins and bought about 5 of them. They were even a better price then Wal-mart's pumpkins and they were fresh! =) The seeds were delicious as we baked them at home the next day. =)

Here are a few pictures of the trip, (I apologize that I don't have more):
The pumpkin field




Jon and I standing in the pumpkin field


Because I only have weekends off, that was all I really did with my family that week. =/

The next week our church had a celebration of the Reformers of the church, known as Reformation Day. We celebrated the lives of several reformers including; John Calvin, John Knox and Martin Luther.

We did this by a combination of games, food, and music, and the celebration was great! One of my favorite things that my church does during this day is play Reformation Jeopardy. I find that I am always learning a lot of reformer history that I didn't know before during the game. Such as the name of Martin Luther's wife, how many children he had, what books he wrote, etc. (Yes, I know, I ought to know, and I've heard it several times before, but I don't always remember.) Perhaps I have Jr. Alzheimer's. ;)

I would love to say more on the subject, but I have to get to Biology lab. I'll try and post some more pictures later and fill you all in. =)

I shall leave you all with a part of one of my favorite fall poems:

"Once more the liberal year laughs out
O'er richer stores than gems or gold:
Once more with harvest song and shout
It's nature's boldest triumph told."
-John Greenleaf Whittier

I pray that you all enjoy your Fall season! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment